Re:virus: purely metaphysical

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 16:16:20 MST

[Blunderov] I wouldn\'t mind some pointers to where \\the new physics\\ has been since the book in question was published (1979)

[rhinoceros] A problems with contemporary physics is that they tend to be strange to our common perception, and rely heavily on mathematics. So, when someone presents us with a model or an expanation in non-technical terms, we need *faith* (i.e. trust in the author). This is easier if the author is not just a journalist or a \"rock star\" of the field, but has some academic reputation to upkeep. That is why I said I wanted to know whether the author could use mathematics if he wanted to.

Now, the latest fad in physics is String Theory, a promising but not fully tested theory which is supposed to provide us with a common base for all physics. A very interesting popular book (with no mathematics) is \"The Elegant Universe -- Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory\" by Prof. Brian Greene.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11635>