Re: virus: Meditations on Involuntary Celibacy

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 09:34:31 MDT

I might get some flak from Walter on this, but I must say my time on Paxil
helped me tremendously. I grew up the brainy fat girl, so I know social
anxiety, but I also am someone who is quick to learn new skills. I can
learn almost anything by pretending to be someone who already knows how.
The problem is, I had no intimate knowledge of someone who really knows how
to be socially graceful. All I knew was anxiety. But being on Paxil for 6
months showed me what it's like to live rationally, and from there, after I
weaned, I could recapture that feeling at will for role-playing my way out
of an anxiety attack. And now I'm a singer in a rock band and a man-magnet!

On the other hand, I have until quite recently still been taking Oxazepam as
needed for some situations, but since I have begun an exercise regimen (as
so persuasively suggested by Walter on the list of virian virtues), I have
not needed pharmaceutical assistance for my anxiety at all. I am also less
sensitive to caffeine. It's almost like (and probably a lot like) the
exercise normalizes the body's reaction to adrenalin. So a good, fairly
intense workout regimen could do the same thing as medication - and every
time you "dose" yourself you get better looking! :)

Anyone looking to exercise more: if you have questions you'd like to ask a
personal trainer or doctor but don't want to go through the hassle of
actually doing that, there's a fabulous exercise database on the web at
www.exrx.net , and a reasonably intelligent person can find a tremendous
amount of helpful information (sans advertising hype), well and clinically
presented!