Re: virus:Infection and Neosporin

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 20:31:46 MDT

<snip list of names>

[Mermaid]I counted at least 20 people whom I was able to recognise by their
work, deeds, words or through history. Some of them are alive and some of
them are dead. They belong to different belief systems and religions.

[ben] I am not familiar with every one of their works enough to recognize
whether the snippets attributed to them in the article are actually
sometihng they have said/penned, or if so if the quotes are at all in the
proper context. I will assume that you are not either.

[Mermaid] As far as I know, none of them are quoted for their works of
fiction.

[ben]Your condescension does not strengthen your case. Also, "as far as you
know", none of them are quoted properly. If you are some amazing historical
scholar who has memorized everything said by all of the names listed, I will
gladly retract the previous sentence. I imagine that your acceptance of the
assertions presented has less to do with an all-encompassing political
knowlege and more to do with the fact that the argument offered in the
article is in line with your already firmly held opinions. Until I am proven
wrong, I will continue to attribute to the article exactly the credibility
it deserves.

[Mermaid]However, I do understand what you mean. It is not fair to expect
from you the recognition some of the authors deserve when compared to the
spam appeal when you are obviously not familiar with the works of some or
most of the above authors.

[ben] I recognize the authors (not all, but most). Some of the quotes are so
far out of line with what I know of the author that I am hesitant to accept
on blind faith, as you appear to have done, that they are being accurately
represented in the article.

-ben