virus: Virus: Empathy Vanishes was: Eugene Leitl disses Hermitish markup

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 02:11:41 MDT

[rhinoceros]
Not that I try to be bitter or sarcastic, but a significant percentage of
the currently active posters seem to display a consensus shift in regard to
the virtue of empathy.

[Kalkor]
Excellent point! And no, it does not seem bitter or sarcastic from my
perspective at least.

The point I would like to discuss is the definition of empathy, and how
there appears to you at least, to be a consensus shift. The Virian Virtues
page describes empathy as:

<quote>If anything, the ability to see from another's perspective is what
sets humans apart from the rest of the animals. It is the basis of many of
the qualities that we hold in highest regard: kindness, charity, mercy,
welfare, forgiveness. Far from being irrational, empathy confers a distinct
advantage in any social situation. It provides a foundation for promises,
contracts, and deals. To a large extent it is the glue that binds
society.</quote>

Now, the way I see it, "the ability to see from another's perspective" is
being defined as empathy, with an aside that empathy is "the basis of many
of the qualities that we hold in highest regard". However, this does not
mean that "kindness, charity, mercy, welfare, forgiveness" ARE empathy, only
that they are behaviors founded on the "sense" that is empathy.

I can empathize with the emotions a mother must be feeling when she drowns
her children. I do not necessarily think she should be shown kindness,
charity, mercy, welfare, or forgiveness for doing it however.

Now, I can empathize with Eugen. He felt strongly about this issue and in
fact made several valid points. My reaction, and indeed the reaction of many
others, was due to the manner in which he presented his points, which was
imho quite rude.

My point being that although I can see where he's "coming from", I do not
wish to join him on his campaign about it. I would have greatly enjoyed
discussing the markup method with him in a civilized, objective manner.
Unfortunately, he perhaps felt a little too strongly about the issue and has
yet to develop a thick enough skin to take abuse, and/or a thin enough skull
to put his thoughts down without slathering them in bitter toxins.

Kalkor