Re: Re:virus: this is the world we live in...death comes in threes

From: Arcadia (arcadia@lynchburg.net)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 07:24:17 MDT

> > You're going to have a hard time getting validation on things like that
in
> > this forum. Unless Hermit's busy on the bbs.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Personally, I think you're not _too_ far off - but it takes some serious
> > dedication and personal growth to even glimpse what's available to us -
> and
> > drugs are cheating. Perhaps the drugs can give you a taste of what real
> > work will bring but you can't pick the lock on heaven's door...

Scatflinger>
> To who ever wrote this I am curious: Have you ever taken any psychedelic
> drugs? Have you ever read any of the theories concerning the involvment of
> psilocin in the evolution of human beings. Some very respected
> ethnobotanists i.e. Terence McKenna would claim that Mushrooms are the
> catalyst that allowed the development of language in the human species. I
> recommend reading Food of the Gods.
> Besides all information that we process in our in our body is based on
some
> energy-chemical or chemical-chemical reaction so how is altering these
> interactions by introducing these substances any less "real" then some
other
> means of altering the physical and mental processes?
> The study of the similarity between seratonin and a few of the tryptamine
> halucinogens is fascinating.

We can go around and around on this. Both sides are right. Drug
experimentation can be like watching the travel channel, showing you where
you might like to go, but should not be confused with being there. On the
other hand though, many of us might never have broken the conditioning of
consumer society and dysfunctional homes without powerful helpers like LSD
and psilosibin.
If it were up to me and I could have the final word, I'd say that those who
are curious about drugs should learn all they can, and if they are still
curious, try them with someone they trust in a place where they feel safe.
Those not curious about drugs should leave them alone. That _should_ be
enough. Beyond that, it verges on moralistic puritan crap about how my
experience is either more or less valid than yours because I did or didn't
do drugs. Everybody's experience is valid, and real to them, and it's up to
them to learn what they can from it. Those who have chosen an enhanced path
deserve the respect of everyone else, but should be expected to behave
themselves, and those who keep clear of drugs also deserve respect.

Also, everything you eat or drink or breathe changes brain and body
chemistry. Go a week without eating meat, and then eat a steak: see how it
feels. Try giving up sugar. It's simply false to draw a line and say these
brains over here are all 'normal,' while those are 'chemically altered.'
They are ALL in and ongoing state of chemical alteration, partly with
chemicals the brain and body secrete themselves, and partly from conscious
inputs we make specifically to change how we feel.

Matt