Re: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: Calvin O Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 16:06:45 MDT

    So, the COV basically needed a system to rate the influence of it's
    members for it to expand and become something more than a mere discussion
    group and forum. This is an action which I'm fully in support of.

    Joe and Bill are frustrated with the system because Hermit seems to have
    carried along with it and ammassed a great deal more power than they're
    comfortable with, another point which I wholly agree with.

    But, speaking as someone who doesn't ususally participate in COV
    discussions, save to interject every so often and say something wierd,
    I'd like to offer a few thoughts on the situation:

    Yes, Hermit has a great deal of respect in the Virian community. I don't
    think this is because of his flunkies, minions, or droogs so much as the
    fact that a lot of people seem to go along with what he has to say. I'm
    willing to bet that most of the people in Virus are very liberal in their
    political outlook. I am rather liberal myself and find myself agreeing
    with a lot of what Hermit has to say. I don't have the patience or desire
    to sift through his sources (a situation I think is shared by most
    readers here), so I place most of my judgement upon how he lays out his
    arguments. He is *exceedingly* good at doing this, but that's my own
    opinion.

    On the other hand, he does other things that piss me off a great deal, and
    that does lower my respect for him a significant ammount.

    On the other side of the spectrum, I respect Joe and Bill because they do
    offer a more conservative outlook which does help to balance out the
    anti-government sentiment attitude which is very prevalent here. While I
    may not have their political outlook, I have a great deal of respect for
    their decision to stand up for this and challence a lot of remarks and
    statments that need to be really ought to be thought through.

    Joe in particular, though: you are a superb writer, you've got a lot of
    brilliant posts out there, but you are far too easily driven into a rage.
    Perhaps it's because Hermit just pisses you off that much, and though I am
    wholly sympathetic and can see where you're coming from, it's no reason
    to attempt to strike down every goddamn thing he does. (I'm sure this
    isn't what you're doing, but it does seem like it sometimes). We *all*
    would respect you a *lot* more if you didn't act like this. Largely you've
    excused your behavior as being Hermit's fault, and a lot of it sounds
    whiny and it's exhaughsting.

    Nonetheless- a lot of the whole "respect" business tends to come from
    agreement with personal politics, and despite the valididty of sources
    and the clarity of the arugment, people generally like to read things they
    agree with. Yay for cognitive dissonance...

    Basically I just want to say that some people need to calm down about
    this, and be more open to comprimise and learn how to cooperate. If COV is
    going to be an organization instead of a group of squabblers, we need to
    start cooperating and finding a way to fucking work *around* personal
    politics. It's not a problem that's going to go away if we beat it over
    the head. The COV won't stand ground if it's position is ultra-liberal,
    and it won't ever function unless the members respect and listen to each
    other.

    On a side note- the one here who I think is most deserving of respect is
    probably Lady Z, since she doesn't keep trying to argue their opinon on
    everyone else, but does make excellent and *concise* posts when they
    really do need to be made.

    On a side side note- Athenonrex: please dear lord use correct
    capitalization! Your arguments look so terrible when they don't have
    correct grammar. You'd get a lot more respect that way ;]

    Ok. I think that's it for now.
    Take care, all.
    -Calvin