virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: Kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 13:49:42 MDT

    Some thoughts on the schism proposals and the condition of the Virian community generally.

    While I happen to find the schism idea unpalatable for a number of reasons (largely because while the two churches might be more succesful than a single one might be, they could inevitably gravitate towards a somewhat conformist outlook instead of being confronted with reasoned arguments of opposed views* i.e. the utility of heterodoxy), I'm somewhat reluctant to go any further than voicing reservations for the simple reason that the only alternatives I am aware of (banning, censorship, moderation etc) are for the most part even more unpalatable. If I have no better alternative, I have little right to complain.

    While I think Calvin is correct to say that co-operation is a pre-requisite for the CoV to function, my suspicion is that the social fabric of the CoV is too badly damaged for that to be possible at this juncture; I am very pessimistic that the status quo is a feasible option. Jonathan also raised a valid point that many of us do not fit neatly into the two opposed viewpoints we appear to be confronted with (For example, I agree with Joe to some extent concerning his analysis of Islamic theocratic fascism, but am likely to disagree that preserving secularism and modernity figures greatly in the minds of most Western administrations), but it is surely those viewpoints that have suffered the most in the sniping, largely due to self censorship.

    It would be of great assistance, if those explicitly opposed to the idea of schism, could elaborate some proposals that would permit the Cov to maintain diversity within its stated framework but to remain co-operative and amicable in character (one possibility might be split forums on a single bbs dedicated to differing political persuasions.) Proposals along the lines of 'Hermit should jump under a bus' will not be regarded as being constructive.

    * Not that that is what we have at present. Arguments, certainly.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28917>