virus: Re:Emergent reputation system in beta

From: David Lucifer (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 12:55:25 MDT

    [quote from: Kharin on 2003-08-07 at 12:32:26]
    From the point of view of the rankings, no difference can be discerned. Of course, you do have the option of simply not ranking someone you don't know.

    The algorithm was designed so that those two cases (neutral and no opinion) would be equivalent. The neutral rating is necessary because it isn't practical to make everyone give everyone else a rating at all times. When a rating is missing from the data the system assumes it is either neutral or no opinion and does not distinguish between the two.

    Perhaps later I can justify this design decision on information theoretical grounds in addition to practical reasons.

    ----
    This message was posted by David Lucifer to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28928>