RE: virus: Scientology: What is it? What are your opinions?

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 21:26:52 MDT

    At 10:11 AM 12/08/03 -0700, you wrote:
    >[Kalkor] "any ideas on some of the more successful submemes in
    >Scientology that we could use to our advantage, without being 'evil'?"
    >
    >[Michelle]
    >I've got one - one of the most rewarding sub-memes in Scientology is the
    >concept of accountability. It really seems to make the -ists feel
    >superior, and I can see why.

    It's certainly true that they act superior to everyone else. Generally
    though they seriously lack competence.

    >They have a concept called "hatting",
    >where you take on a position or a role in a group or at work, and it
    >means that you have signed off on every aspect of that, and take
    >personal responsibility for its fulfillment. If you slack, the other
    >-ists give you no room for wiggling, you "hatted", you knew what you
    >were supposed to do. That concept pretty much applies across the board,
    >to the regular -ist (I don't know about the shady higher-ups).

    Unfortunately there are "hats" for a very long list of jobs in scientology
    that range from bureaucratic nonsense to the outright criminal (OSA,
    Office of Special Affairs, scientology's dirty tricks department,
    "hats). Check out www.lermanet.com, or
    www.xenu.net. www.lisamcpherson.com is about scientology killing a woman
    by medical malpractice. People with "hats" were absolutely certain that
    they were doing things according to L. Ron Hubbard's ideas of how to treat
    people having a psychotic break. (Introspection rundown.)

    >So, personal accountability being sadly lacking in most of society, it
    >would be nice for Virion Virtues to include, perhaps, some variant of
    >the old "ownership" concept (from therapy?), where you admit that you
    >are well intelligent enough to note your own inconsistencies and
    >failures and address them with integrity. No excuses. How to compress
    >that into a catchy blurb?

    I would not try. There are several cults splintered off of
    scientology. Every one of them damaging and nasty.

    >(I have a large scientology-based business operating out of my building.
    >They don't work for the CoS but they use their principals and are all
    >-ists. Also my receptionist at one time was an -ist.)

    But no longer? Ask her about being regged. If she got that far (OT3 and
    up) see if she is willing to talk about "body thetans" or space cooties.

    Keith Henson