RE: virus: Re:The End of Freedom: Enforced Conformity

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 15:52:58 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf
    Of Hermit
    Sent: 18 August 2003 09:47 AM
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Re:The End of Freedom: Enforced Conformity

    With all of the furor some of Blunderov's fine posts run the risk of
    being missed. I recommend them. One of them contained the
    following (though I'm not sure where it is from. Blunderov, if you see
    this, please drop me a line and I'll update it on the BBS):

    [Blunderov]
    Thank you for the compliment. I value it.
    I found the story at http://atheism.about.com/b/a/015565.htm

    There was also a story: "Texas Pledge-of-Allegiance Law Undermines
    Democracy, Critical Thinking"

    At http://atheism.about.com/b/a/016181.htm

    In fact Texas appears to have many drawbacks, whatever its other virtues
    may be:

    There is also for instance: "Texas Taliban May Get Biology Text
    Censored"

    August 14, 2003
    Texas Taliban May Get Biology Text Censored
    Holt, Rinehart & Winston, publisher of textbooks for public schools
    across the country, has done the cowardly thing and agreed to give in to
    religious pressure from Christian fundamentalists in Texas over the
    placement of evolution in biology texts. Relying upon advice from The
    Discovery Institute, a front organization that promotes creationism
    under the more marketable name "Intelligent Design," the proposed
    changes would undermine the teaching of science by giving students a
    misleading impression of what science is about.
    The Houston Chronicle explains:

    "Rather than stand up for keeping good science standards in textbooks,
    Holt Rinehart has compromised the education of Texas students," said
    Samantha Smoot, executive director of the Texas Freedom Network, a group
    that monitors the religious right. The network singled out a passage
    directing students to "study hypotheses for the origin of life that are
    alternatives" to others posed in the book. Students also are encouraged
    to research alternative theories on the Internet.
    Of course, there are no scientific alternatives to the theory of
    evolution. There are religious alternatives, that is true, so Christian
    fundamentalists are having a biology text for public schools changed to
    encourage students to seek out (religious) alternatives to a sound
    scientific theory.

    Read More:

    What is Intelligent Design?
    What is Balanced Treatment?