virus: Minimal belief set

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 11:21:17 MDT

    Something that popped up in the Fred Reed discourse:

    It's my understanding that some ammount of belief must be taken to allow the
    usage of the scientific method, to observe and draw conclusions about the
    world around us...

    Not too long ago it was put to me to explain how I could bear to live in
    this world if I truly believed *nothing*. But of course I don't, I have some
    faith in my own senses and my ability to reason.

    I propose the following as a minimal belief set:
    1: I believe that I exist; I can percieve and affect my surroundings.
    2: I believe that my senses are trustworthy within a margin of error.
    3: I believe that everything that may be observed has an explanation which
    may be brought about by reason.

    Is this a good minimal belief set?
    Is it minimal and complete?
    Do other people here share similar sets?

    Hope to hear some interesting responses :]

    ---
    Calvin Ashmore
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~coa
    "Don't worry, the worst is yet to come!"