virus: Fwd: I Told You So...

From: athe nonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 18:09:38 MDT

    [athenonrex]

    funny, am i the only one that recieved this email? sent to me personally?
    and not through means of the virus remailing list? or did he actually
    take the time to send a personal email (or at least individually addressed
    at anyrate) to others as well? it strikes me as a bit petty and paranoid.

    Per Se...

    Per se that Hermit is indeed attempting a Coup on Virus...what does it
    prove to try and counter his pep rally with a pep rally of your own?
    the easiest response to all attacks made against anyone, in any
    situation, especially in attacks made against yourself, is simply to
    ignore them. this may not always work best in "real-life" practise, but,
    for the love of God, Allah, Buddha, KRSNA, Buddy Christ, Ravnos, Cthulhu,
    Marry Poppins and whatever and whomever else it may apply to, this is a
    freakin EMAIL LIST. i mearly use this place as a fascility in which i
    can get perspective feedback on my ideas and help to further develope
    them. finding people in physical proximity to me that have any intellectual
    proximity close to me is not an easy task, and thusly, i come online and
    share my thoughts with others. and to a degree, debating is fun online
    as well...but arguing...i'm reminded of one of the newer cliches...

    arguing online is like the special olympics: it doesn't matter if you
    win or lose, you're still a fuckin retard.

    and it's proven itself true to me over and over. if you wish, though,
    joe...continue your petty lament and such...but please, do not send
    email, unrequested and uninitiated by me, to my inbox. especially
    an email that culminates to calling me a degenerate for not getting into
    a fervour like yourself. i say not that you are unjustified or
    justified, just that it's only a petty lament, echoing through the
    non-coporeal halls of cyber-space, and ultimately striking cachophny
    in my inbox...

    for the last time, sir, i bid you good day.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Made possible by Fade to Black Comedy Magazine

    attached mail follows:

    Hermit has purposefully imported people who will follow his lead in
    voting his will and desires, and is now using that mechanism to
    bludgeon the list into the ideological/political/memetic shape which he
    has long envisioned. He also utilized an old and tried-and-true
    mechanism in order to convict me of list flooding; that is, multiple
    attacks (in which you, beknownst or not, co-operated). When a person
    (such as myself) refuses to allow their silence to be mistaken for assent,
    that person can be accused of flooding a list if they simply answer all
    the attacks directed at them by multiple aggressors, each of which only
    accumulates a portion of the posts accredited to the defender. Six
    attackers, each posting six emails, require thirty-six responses from
    their common target; thus none of them can be accused of list flooding,
    while their target, who did nothing but respond to emails directed
    his/her way, gets tagged with a 36-post list flooding charge. Either
    David is stupid and doesn't understand these dynamics and was taken
    in by them, or he is malevolent, and used them as an excues to silence
    me. There is no third alternative available between the horns of this
    logical either/or dilemma.
            I, the Virion Cassandra, warned you and prophesied to you
    (although I take no pleasure in being right) that this would happen, and
    now it is happening before your very eyes. Now that he feels secure in
    the opinion that he can dominate it, having abused the previously
    described device in order to silence his most academically credible
    adversary, he wishes to retrieve political commentary from its out-of-
    bounds status so that he may pursue his original intention of morphing
    this list into an ideologically pure one-note Indymedia-type leftist
    mouthpiece memetically enthralled tool. And you have aided and
    abetted him in the pursuit of that list-principle-betraying, and ultimately
    destroying, partisan goal. I hope that you are proud of yourself; I am
    most certainly far from proud of you. In fact, I am ashamed - but not of
    myself. I grieve to see such a nobly conceived enterprise being brought
    so low, and with the enabling co-operation of people of whom I once
    thought better of than that.