RE: virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 10:39:34 MDT

    I was spooked by Hermit's Chinese-commit-genocide piece but for me it was
    ruined by its overt anti-Americanism (if that term can be applied to what
    appears *in my opinion* to be Hermit's pathological hatred of America).

    Hermit writes with unconcealed approval of a situation where the Chinese
    commit genocide against the rest of the world. They then disperse around the
    world, making vassals of what is left of it, but ensuring economic
    prosperity for all (gee thanks). The USA - the prime evil - disintegrates
    and nuclear bombs its own cities not long after killing its Chinese citizens
    (cue applause). If the Chinese can stoop to it, they may - if the blue-eyed
    devils are lucky and the ancestors are willing - begin "civilising" the
    Americans. The End.

    Was that a joke?

    This is precisely the sort of stuff I would expect from the Chinese
    propaganda ministry except they would never be crazy enough to imply that
    Chinese genocide against the rest of humanity was somehow less onerous that
    those damned Yankees turning on their Chinese citizens.

    The whole thing reads as one big revenge fantasy against the USA, a
    political rant dressed up as a what-if piece. Just look at the statements in
    it:

    "A boorish Texan was elected President of the United States...the election
    of "Dubya" Bush says much about the ignorance and bigotry of the American
    people.

    ...in late 2002 "Dubya" Bush announced that the United States would not
    allow any other nation to challenge the American hegemony.

    [The USA is a] "rogue nation" carrying out an "insane demolition of the
    diplomatic and legal structures which man had spent the last century
    developing.

    The US never comprehend[ed] economics or power and... [is] paranoid and
    xenophobic"

    I like the idea, I like the format and I like Hermits style. Tone down the
    anti-American bigotry and chauvinism, enter some more plausibility and you
    have the makings of a great story.

    Incidentally: If history is to be a guide, then be assured China will amount
    to zero in terms of global power. It will invert itself as it has done so
    many times in its 6,000 year history. China has some advantages over the
    West, advantages easily wiped out by us: It is ruthless and devious, it is
    not a democracy, it is protectionist, it prostitutes promise of its markets
    to steal technology and advantage, its workers are prepared to work for very
    little. It is not the USA which is scrabbling to grab as much from its shot
    lived strategic advantage, but China. Soon it will be suffering for exactly
    the same sort of pressures the West has. It will also have enormous internal
    migration and face possible break-up.

    China is the Great Red Hope for Yankee haters. It will go the same way as
    the USSR. The only way it could really triumph would be to destroy most of
    the rest of the world...but 3000 trident-delivered warheads would make sure
    that that would be a short lived victory.

    Regards

    Jonathan