RE: virus: Virian Fitness Boot Camp

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 11:00:00 MDT

    [DrSebby]
    keep in mind jerry lee...situps get you a tight tummy....even if it's
    underneath a layer of fat. fat deposits commonly occur in that area first.
    change your diet. i highly suggest fish! it seems to just go right through
    you for the most part...with lots of nutrition to boot.

    [Mermaid]
    oops..*you* cant be wrong...my bad?

    what exactly is a 'sit up' anyways?

    [Kalkor]
    A sit-up contrasts with a crunch in that you involve the hip flexor
    muscles(rectus femoris, TFL, iliopsoas, some adductors) as major movers
    rather than just as stabilizers and synergists. In a situp, traditionally
    you would lay on your back, with knees and hips bent, then flex the hip and
    lumbar spine until your anterior thorax meets your anterior thighs. People
    tend to "cheat" on this exercise, throwing their weight around rather than
    using a controlled concentric then eccentric contraction. Some tend to lock
    fingers behind their head which is a pretty risky thing to do for the neck.

    With a crunch, you would basically start in the same position, or even arch
    your back around something like a bench or medicine ball (hyperextend the
    lumbar spine). I actually like to lay with my back on the ground and my
    lower legs up on a couch or something. This is to discourage the hip/thigh
    muscles from becoming involved. The contraction should be controlled and
    mindful, the rectus abdominus, external oblique, and internal obliques
    should be focused on. The hip bone must NOT rotate, or it becomes a sit-up.
    The goal is to flex the lumbar spine without involving anything else if
    possible, including the thoracic spine. Exhale on contraction (2 seconds),
    hold at highest point (2 seconds) and then inhale during relaxation (another
    2 seconds). http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtCrunch.html

    If you're interested in exercise/weight training/strength training, I would
    highly recommend http://exrx.net (EXercise Rx). There is no better source
    I've found that so logically and clearly explains the form and kinesiology
    of exercise.

    In fact, I would suggest Michelle go there too; you mentioned doing heavy
    lifting 3 days a week. What is your goal with this?
    http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

    [quote]
    Many scientific studies demonstrate one set is almost effective as multiple
    sets, if not just as effective in strength and muscle hypertrophy (Starkey,
    Pollock, et. al. 1996). These studies have been criticized for using
    untrained subjects. Hass et. al. (2000) compared the effects of one set
    verses three sets in experienced recreational weightlifters. Both groups
    significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition during the 13
    week study. Interestingly, no significant differences were found between
    groups for any of the test variables; including muscular strength, muscular
    endurance, and body composition.

    A few maverick fitness authorities and professional bodybuilders have
    advocated high intense, very low volume training. Author Jones, the founder
    of Nautilus and MedX weight training equipment, was one of the early
    pioneers of single set training. In the 1980s, Casey Viator, the youngest
    Mr. America and Mr. Olympia contestant, and Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe and
    Mr. Olympia contestant, promoted the high intense, low volume training. More
    recently, Dorian Yates, several time Mr. Olympia, reportedly performed only
    a warm up set and one or occasionally two workout sets through out his
    off-season training.

    Weight training components (intensity, duration, frequency) are thought to
    be inversely proportionate to one another (I*D*F). This model suggests if
    one component is decreased, increasing one or both of the other components
    may make up for this loss. For example, by training each muscle group every
    4 days instead of every 3 days (decrease frequency), the number of exercises
    or sets may be increased (increase duration), or the amount of weight may be
    increased (increase intensity).
    [/quote]

    Lots of useful information there, and some debunking of dogma that I've
    always suspected was in need of debunking ;-}
    During high school I lifted weights daily, every day, all throughout 4
    years. The instructor for all 4 years was a flabby football coach, I think I
    spoke maybe 10 words with him the entire time because he was too busy
    schmoozing with the football players to actually offer any sort of
    instruction or assistance. I made my greatest gains after graduation when I
    took a weightlifting instruction class at my local community college,
    wherein we actually learned some kinesiology and form, rather than just
    grunting and posturing. Since then I've been picking up a bit here, and a
    bit there. After studying cellular physiology as it pertains to muscles at
    Massage school, I am starting to agree with the low-volume, high-intensity
    philosophy. It certainly seems to have the greatest amount of supporting
    experimental evidence as weight-training philosophies go.

    Kalkor