RE: virus: Virian Fitness Boot Camp

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 10:46:15 MDT

    [Kalkor} In fact, I would suggest Michelle go there too; you mentioned
    doing heavy lifting 3 days a week. What is your goal with this?
    http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

    [Michelle] I actually obsessively read all of ExRx.com's weight training
    and nutrition articles around December 2001, which helped me
    tremendously in getting back into the gym. I used to lift heavy in high
    school with what guidance was available then (generally just football
    players), and used a private trainer in '93 for a few month, so I know
    I've always loved the challenge, but the trainer I'm with now (for about
    20 months so far) is really amazing. He does a lot of work with OHSU on
    their ageing and bone density studies and does rehabilitation, besides
    personal training.

    I have tried some of the single-set HIGH intensity "superslow" work, and
    it is incredibly valuable. It's also very mentally difficult and the
    level of breakdown & repair is a lot for a beginner to take (emotional
    rollercoaster while body is healing). I do not recommend superslow for
    a beginning weight trainer psychologically, though it's by far more
    effective physically, as it both eliminates the possibility of lifting
    too heavy and injuring yourself and teaches you how 1) keep perfect form
    and 2) really try as hard as you possibly can - go till you cry and/or
    vomit. It's very taxing.

    What I do is a little easier on the brain but does increase mass &
    strength very well. I've been lifting for, like I said, 20 months (this
    time around), and I've lost some dress sizes and built a lot of
    definition. And I did a triathlon. I guess I can brag a little - I
    just got an 800 lb leg press, a 240 bench press and a 170 lb bicep curl.
    :) We (I work out in a group) use a session like this:

    warmup set - for beginners we do 25 reps of extremely light weight;
    for seasoned lifters we do 12 reps at a weight that isn't too fatiguing
    but gets your muscles a little hot

    then 12 @ about 40-50% of 1-rep max
    8 @ 60% of max
    4 @ 70% of max
    1 @ max
    12 @ 70% of max cooldown

    with LOTS of rest in between so that fatigue, which is temporary, gives
    way by the end of cooldown to total muscle failure.

    Anyway, if you're willing to work hard enough to get superior strength,
    through that level of commitment, the rest falls into place, or at least
    it has in my case. The added muscle mass, the carb burn, the excitement
    and camaraderie of your training buddies, the encouragement of a trainer
    (big motivator for me), all serve to help me keep that ice cream out of
    my mouth.

    And by the way, I do NOT look like a steroided out bodybuilder. I know
    men who weigh 140 lbs and leg press 1200 lbs. Without drugs, your body
    will only get as big as your genetics allow.

    Hope this helps anyone thinking about lifting - I'm happy to discuss at
    any time. Hope I didn't ramble too much, either...

    -Michelle