RE: virus: Re:Virian Fitness Boot Camp

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 12:26:53 MDT

    Howdy Mermaid!

    Sounds like you're pursuing what works for you. I would stay away from
    Pilates if you're not already addicted (many of the exercises have been
    shown to be counterproductive once a patient is past bedridden (as in,
    up and about)), but yoga rules! I'm going to be taking some starting
    10/1 myself. But I hate to hear people say that weight training is
    making them less flexible. The thing is, with proper form you can only
    get more flexible as your body is stretched at the "bottom" and "top" of
    each movement with heavy weight on it. It's only when people cheat
    themselves on the form by shortening the movement to something easier
    instead of pushing those last few inches that they get short fat
    musculature that stays tense. (For example, a bicep curl should go all
    the way from fully extended arms to fully closed elbows (weight at
    chest/shoulders). NOT from bent to more bent.)

    What kind of yoga do you like? I'm going to try the hot room yoga and
    I'm just learning about different approaches. I respect yoga immensely.

    (PS - I LOVE the gravitron)