Re:virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 17:57:02 MDT

    At 06:35 PM 26/09/03 -0600, you wrote:

    >Complete disagreement on religion. I'll take it up with you formally
    >sometime if you like. Write a 4 part formal argument and then debate it
    >on-line afterwards? It may be "interesting." Suggested structure: You
    >proposing "Religion has been beneficial to mankind" perhaps. Me opposing.
    >Rhino as Chair, Kharin and I on the one side, you and whoever you nominate
    >on the other? We could do it after we have the RevolutionUSA and Rat
    >websites up and running.

    That's not exactly what I mean. Clippings from:

    http://www.operatingthetan.com/cryonics.txt

    As human brains enlarged they improved in the ability to anticipate
    changes, making plans to hunt, to move with the seasons, and, later, to
    plant seeds for a future harvest. These and similar "smart" behaviors have
    obvious survival advantages, but they may have disadvantages as well. Alas,
    it seems that it is quite possible to be too smart for "the good of one's
    genes."

    snip

    Being able to anticipate the future may not have been an
    unmixed blessing for early humans. Besides worrying about what
    to eat in the morning, and how to get through the night without
    being eaten, our ancestors could worry about existential angst,
    and ponder questions of the "Where Was I Before I Was Me?" and
    "What Happens After I Die?" kind. It may sound silly, but such
    questions, prompted by frequent deaths among those around you may
    have been a barrier for hundreds of thousands of years to the
    emergence of smarter people with enhanced ability to anticipate
    and plan for the future. It is not good for your genes to be
    dwelling on such questions while something large, furry, and not
    in the least concerned about angst, sneaks up and nips off your
    head!

    snip

             We know that eventually smarter people did emerge, and came
    to dominate the world. This started about 200,000 years ago,
    roughly the same time that DNA studies indicate that one woman
    was the common ancestor of us all. Like chipped rock and larger
    brains emerging together, it is possible that some meme mutated
    out of more primitive ones, or arose from observations to form a
    "religious belief" that provided "answers" to such questions and
    had the effect of compensating for genes that otherwise would
    made us too smart for our own (genetic) good. Beliefs that could
    fit this description are known to go back to the very beginning
    of written history, and archaeological digs produce physical
    evidence (flower grave offerings) of such beliefs back at least
    70,000 years. (The actual timing is not important to this
    argument, but objects believe to be "religious" in nature became
    common by about 35,000 years ago.)

             "Religious" memes compensating for
    too-smart-for-their-own-good brains is rank speculation, but
    Marvin Minsky argues that more complex brains are inherently less
    stable. It is true that our more remote relatives (such as cows)
    seem to have fewer mental problems, perhaps just because they
    have less "mental." His thought****

             **** (footnote--- personal communication through Eric
    Drexler)

             is that certain "agents" built with patterns from outside
    could enhance the stability of a complex mind. He discussed a
    variety of mental "agents" in Society of Mind, reviewed in
    Cryonics some time ago. One class, censors, would be especially
    useful if kept someone's mind from spiraling down into a blue
    funk over unanswerable questions. Ideas that when a family
    member died he had gone to "the happy hunting grounds," and that
    you would see him again might make a big difference in the
    survival of grief- stricken relatives. Jane Goodall's report of
    a case where a chimpanzee seems to have died of grief gives this
    model some credibility. (The chimp was believed to have had an
    abnormally strong attachment to his mother.)

             This is very speculative, but "religious" memes could have
    "functions" such as reducing the effects of grief or answering
    philosophical questions about which it was (genetically)
    unprofitable to ponder. These memes would be favored in a causal
    loop if they improve the survival of people carrying genes which
    tend to destabilize a person's mental state, but otherwise improve
    their survival.

             Such genes might (for example) contribute to intelligence,
    sensitivity, and forming strong emotional attachments. After a
    few millennia, religious memes and conditionally advantageous
    genes would become quite dependent on each other. In an
    environment saturated with religious memes, there would be little
    pressure for minds to evolve that could get by without
    stabilizing memes.

             In turn, the religious memes that originated long ago have
    had plenty of time to split into varieties, compete for hosts,
    and themselves evolve in response to a changing environment. (An
    occasional variation may kill its hosts, a la Jim Jones.) A lay
    observer looking for similarities over such a period might not
    recognize much common ritual. (Joseph Campbell devoted his life
    to discovering common threads in ritual.) Both modern and
    ancient religions seem to "fit" into similar places in the mind,
    and have the similar functions of providing "answers" to the
    unanswerable, and comfort to the grief stricken.

             The environment in those minds (mostly the result of other
    memes) has greatly changed as people accumulated more
    observations about the world around them and got better at
    manipulating it. There are known changes in the history of
    religion, such as the tendency for monotheistic religions (in the
    western cultural tradition) to replace polytheistic ones, and the
    well known tendency for religions (and similar belief patterns)
    to mutate into new and competing varieties. We can see some
    (the written part) of the accumulated variation. For example,
    the religion of the Old Testament is recognizably the ancestor of
    the more recent New Testament.

             Because humans learn from other adults as well as parents,
    religious beliefs that are "better suited" to infect human minds
    could spread, even (if it survived translation) across language
    boundaries. (Islam simply imposed Arabic on its converts.) In
    Europe during early historical times, we can see the displacement
    of older religions with Christianity. Within Christianity we
    can see in recent historical times competing varieties mutate
    from earlier versions (a classic example would be the Mormons)
    and within the US in the last decades we have seen the arrival of
    both new "religions" such as Scientology, and the repeated
    importation of eastern religions. (Almost all new and
    transplanted religions fail--we only see the ones which grow
    large enough to notice.)

             Because human minds usually hold only one religion at a
    time, religious memes are in "competition" for a limited number
    of human minds. This sets up the conditions for a powerful
    "evolutionary struggle" between religious memes. You should
    expect the memes which survive this process to resist being
    displaced, and to induce their hosts to propagate them."

    ************end clippings

    My view of this subject has changed some due to reading Pascal Boyer's
    _Religion Explained_ but I have not digested that book well enough to
    articulate the changes in detail.

    >[hr]
    >Total agreement in the reality for the Islamic and Chinese populations.
    >However you should bear in mind that they disagree (remember, "The tragedy
    >of Africa"). And in that light, I also see how the "West" (recently mainly
    >the US) is perceived (largely validly) as both having been deliberately
    >and massively screwing both groups - and as the major, not just
    >destabilizing force, but real and present threat to both groups.

    Until the US was provoked into going into Afghanistan by 9/11, the
    destabilizing force of western culture was casual and even now there is no
    "department of western cultural imperialists." In fact, the aspects of
    culture most likely to invade, music and computers, are not supported by
    the western governments at all. In any case, the Chinese seem to have
    embraced western culture. The same is true of a substantial fraction of
    the Islamic populations.

    >As you know, I advocate an even more Western system at the end of the day.
    >Which is why I also advocate a very different way of dealing with the
    >issues. Fix the environment and the people will fix themselves with
    >minimal assistance.

    Maybe. Sometimes fixing the environment is a very hard problem.

    I have been thinking about Easter Island a lot as an example of a closed
    system. Even importing the whole knowledge of today into their culture a
    few generations before the collapse might not have been enough to avoid
    disaster.

    Keith Henson