Re:virus: Studying Ad Populem, was: ideohazard 1.1

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 16:53:26 MDT

    Dear Blunderov,

    "I almost couldn't believe what I was reading at times - it didn't seem
    to me to be the reasoning of a professional at all. His sense of cause
    and effect seems sketchy at best. He seems to make an assumption that
    what the world has become is by definition defective."

    I think that's probably about that right. There is a certain class of conservatism to whom the entirety of the modern world is reviled and rejected. Some more examples for the road;

    Scruton on science:

    "His authority is not philosophy but science—and in particular the studies in primatology that have told us how very like the apes we are, and how very like us are the apes. The movement in favor of animal rights is not merely the latest example of the "rights inflation" that liberals have always promoted. It is part of a larger movement of ideas away from the other-worldly dogmas of religion to the this-worldly theories of science. Science now stands at the apex of our beliefs, and a morality derived from any other source is apt to appear quaint and outmoded. And when science is in charge, duties sink still further into the background, since only God can give commands, and God is in retirement."

    Scruton on abortion;

    "The continuing emphasis on rights, in a world that has lost sight of its duties, is as much a fragmenting as a cohesive social force. This, surely, is the real meaning of the conservative complaint that an activist judiciary undermines the "moral majority." By constantly extending and amplifying the list of rights, the Supreme Court also depletes the reservoir of duties. Striking in this respect was the decision in Roe v. Wade, which deprived the unborn fetus of all rights under the Constitution."

    I feel that, on the whole, my grounds for comparing Scruton to Falwell and Buchanan should be abundantly clear.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29368>