virus: Re:Debate Challenge #2

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 14:53:54 MDT

    [Hermit]Mermaid, when you say, "Parlimentary rules" do you mean all 277 pages (excluding the index) of the current Robert's rules as revised (ISBN 0-7607-1646-3 or (cheaper) ISBN 0-7607-1734-6), or do you mean something else?

    [Mermaid]Something else. I did a quick search on the types of debate and came up with the word, actually. Clearly, there seems to be two types of debate. Policy and parlimentary debate. We are not playing the first game.

    [Hermit]If you do mean Robert's rules, who will chair, and how will you apply the rules in a forum where there is no control over who can speak, in what order, what they can say, when they can say it, and, where so far as I can see, nobody knows what rules will apply*?

    [Mermaid]I suppose these are Mermaid's rules?

    [Hermit]As a further point of information, people tend to speak at a rate of 180 to 200 words per minute, and this might be a good multiplier to use when extrapolating debating time into a "word-limit".

    [Mermaid]Thats ok. Then they will have to finish this between 2 mts and 4.

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29399>