virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 21:31:30 MDT

    As I have a lot of calls on my time, I do not care to have to spend what little I can find with those whose on-line behaviour or chatter I find annoying. In consequence I generally prefer to avoid #virus except during meetings with formal rules. There is another channel, #viruspolicy, where it policy discussions take place. Virians wishing to meet with me on IRC are also aware of #hermit (usually unlogged).

    As I choose not to have to meet with you in an environment where you have frequently and repeatedly chosen to attempt to insult or bad mouth me, and where I might again be tempted to rejoin, I would far rather discuss any policy issues you might like to raise on the BBS (In the wiki section of the Cathedral) and on the wiki itself.

    As for the rest of what you said, I recommend again that you read http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm and consider the implications for an online forum. It is evident that what you advocate is "more of the same" that has lead to the nasty situations we have repeatedly experienced, along with a non-stop trickle of prods and jibes - which may amuse some - but lead to our forums seeming distinctly unattractive to many people. This may be nuts for you*, if you enjoy misbehaving, but seems nuts to me as it is in conflict with our goals.

    Hermit

    * Epitaph, from memory

    Mary-Anne is laid to rest
    Safe at last on Abraham's breast
    This may be nuts for Mary-Ann
    But it's certainly rough on old Abraham.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>