virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 11:45:52 MDT

    [Hermit 1] I suggest that this is a much better last word:22:42:21 Mermaid people are rude online ..more so than in real life..because...well...because they can and get away with it too http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=chatlog2;channel=%23virus;date=2003-10-03;time=03:;start=900;max=60

    [Hermit 1] The point of the Disciplinary Process is that if implemented appropriately, "they" cannot.

    [Mermaid 2] Are you saying now that if people sign up on CoV they cant be RUDE? They'd be disciplined if they *sound* rude to someone else? Rudeness...which btw is awfully subjective....is not "desired and acceptable behaviour"?

    [Mermaid 2] Rudeness, imo, can be anything from personal expressions to irresponsible parenting ... insecurity or inferiority complex...or just a creative mind or even intelligence...it can be out of ignorance as much as it can be out of spite. The reaction to rude behaviour is what monitors rudeness. Not a document that instructs people how to behave.

    [Mermaid 2] I thought DiP was for serious and potentially deadly disruptions? I would really like to know what I have signed up for....

    [Hermit 3] Despite your brave defense of rudeness, it does not make for an attractive environment or pleasant reading. It also leads to rapid escalation. The difficulty of defining subjective issues is precisely why we don't have "laws" but instead rely on "reconciliation committees" to determine whether people have crossed the borderlines. The primary intent of the Disciplinary Process being to ensure that the CoV is an attractive and pleasant environment. People who wish to be "creatively rude" to others, need to seek other places to do it.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>