RE: virus: Guerilla memetics

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 09:39:46 MST

    [Blunderov]
    The thought strikes me that such material would be particularly
    effective if it was brought to the attention of teenagers, who would be
    likely to vector it amongst their peers because of its vivid history. It
    would also appeal to the natural rebelliousness of this age group. Hit
    the Sunday schools - suffer the little children to come unto us!

    AFAIK this would not be illegal. And it would be quite an adventure to
    attend a church incognito with subversive intent. (I think they hand out
    free cups of tea afterwards in some congregations - and even cake!)

    What do y'all think? Or shall we just leave (polite) activism to the
    Brights?

    [Kalkor]
    Wheeeeeeee!!!! I think it's a great idea. Some local marijuana legalization
    activists are using similar tactics in their latest project:
    www.freeweedclub.com "Angry at the law? Got Balls? Join the club!"
    Their tactics include leaving cards and flyers wherever you go, like with
    your tip at the restaurant or in magazines when you go to the newsstand,
    etc...

    I think Keith's point about the scope and scale is valid, however. I would
    be happily amused to do this once in a while, but in order to make an actual
    dent... maybe we need something that spreads itself? Something truly
    "viral"?

    Sure, you can leave a flyer that makes some teenager question his faith...
    but can you make him spread the idea with the same flyer? If we can, then I
    think you'll be on to something ;-}

    Kalkor