RE: virus: New virian virtue

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 15:15:41 MST

    [Erik]
    No that is an issue of overlapping integrity. You promise to yourself, you
    friends and your family that you will survive. You lie to your captors...as
    a last resort.

    Sometimes you are put in a situation where you feel you must break one
    virtue in order to uphold another.

    In those times you can use you other Virian virtues.

    Vision - imagining a future which inspires me, which of these actions is
    consistent with that vision?

    [Kalkor]
    I have a lack of integrity because of my lie to my captors. I have integrity
    because of trying to keep the promise to myself and my loved ones that I
    will survive.

    However, at no time have I been hypocritical. My internal desire is to
    escape, and it's pragmatic of me to do whatever needs to be done to have
    that happen.

    Thus, at the same time, I have failed to have integrity but I have never
    become hypocritical.
    I think hypocrisy should continue to be a virian sin because it prevents
    rational, efficacious, or pragmatic action.
    I do not think integrity should be a virian virtue because it does not have
    to necessarily follow in the absence of hypocrisy. In addition, you can be
    absolutely irrational and yet at the same time have a sort of integrity to
    the irrationality. I think this is very undesireable in our context, and
    integrity should be left off the list.

    Good discussion tho ;-}

    Kalkor