RE: virus: to the students here

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 08:56:43 MST

    So, currently I'm a senior at Carnegie Mellon, which is one of the most
    wired campuses in the world. I'm an undergraduate, but I'm in a program that
    gets me a masters degree in mathematics, and I'm picking up a minor in
    computer science. That said, I am very, very busy most of the time :]

    The extent of the electronic devices I own here are my computer, a couple
    lights, a scanner, and an electrical piano, and a fan, which is played often
    by my roomate. The computer is on pretty much continuously, but power
    consuming components such as the monitor and speakers are off whenever I'm
    not using them.

    I live in an "apartment", (it is a dorm, though) which is shared by four
    people. And therefore there is a refrigderator, stove, microwave, toaster,
    blender and such in a common area. The refridgerator and stove are
    university provided. Additionally, there is a tv and there are gaming
    systems. Many many gaming systems. (Of which, none I own or have anything to
    do with for the most part.)

    The thing I find peculiar about getting so much electronics is that they
    turn into so much of a distraction, that it's impossible to focus on studies
    and other things. Things tend to be advertized such that they seem
    indispensable, but there's only so much time that you can put into your own
    crap and still be a student. So often times if electronics are bought in
    excess, they either are never used, which is bad, or they distract you from
    everything else, which is also pretty bad...

    As for my study habits, I spend most of the time studying at my desk,
    listening to music on headphones, which effectively tunes everything else
    out. And that's about the prime way that I get my work done, other things
    are less effectual. Other housemates work while watching TV. I don't know
    how they actually are able to do this. My computer is a cross between a
    stereo, a research tool, and a workbench. Much of the work I do is on the
    computer, but the mathematics mostly involves books and papers.

    Hmmm...
    (rant rant rant)
    That's about it, though.
    Take care :]