Re: virus: Re:to the students here

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 21:12:33 MST

    At 09:36 AM 27/11/03 -0700, you wrote:

    >It wasn't until after I got an undergrad degree (B.Sc. EE) that I
    >understood the true purpose of universities is not education but research.
    >Professors have to teach undergrad courses (and often resent the fact) in
    >order to support their true interest, their research. Once you understand
    >this, a lot of related facts make sense.

    Research is certainly one part of the reason for universities. And the
    higher status the university has the more important research is to the
    professors. But why do parents value going to one of these places high
    enough to pay the incredible tab? If you are sending a son there, it is
    the place he can make the social contacts that will let him do very high
    status things like become president.

    If you are sending a daughter there, she has a chance of marrying one of
    those upward status sons and having very high status children with
    excellent chances for survival

    The fact that high status people have small numbers of children and that
    you don't need super high status to survive now has not yet sunk into the
    genes.

    Give it another million years. :-)

    But from a student's viewpoint, making those high social contacts are what
    makes the long run difference be Princeton and State U. Pity I was
    absolutely clueless about this fact when I could have done something with it.

    Keith Henson