virus: Re:Key Trend: The Decline of Trust

From: metahuman (v1@metavirus.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 21:30:19 MST

    [simul]
    If you don't think that's what trust is...

    [metahuman]
    I don't think that's trust. I know that's not trust.

    Your examples are literarily flawed:

    You: I trust that some drivers on the freeway will be lousy.
    Reality: I accept [as truth] that some drivers on the freeway will be lousy based on previous experiences.

    You: And I trust that there isn't a bomb in my closet.
    Reality: And I accept [as truth] that there isn't a bomb in my closet based on previous experiences.

    Most people will resign to using your flawed statements rather than being specific as being specific takes more time and sounds "intelligent."

    Previous experience is not a requirement for trust. One can trust in God without evidence of existence of the being. One can trust that David Lucifer will grow wings and fly out of Hell. Trust is synonymous with faith. Faith is synonymous with belief and confidence. All beliefs have a higher chance to lead the believer to an irrational decision. Some would argue that the rationality of a decision does not affect the goodness of the decision. I disagree. The results of a foolish / irrational decision will always possess the attributes of such a decision.

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29771>