RE: RE virus: More bush democracy

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 04:40:03 MST

    I think foreign policy of virtually every state is rightly about
    self-interest (yes, even Sweden and Switzerland).

    I was thinking today that it is slightly hypocritical of some people to have
    argued against the invasion of Iraq on pragmatic grounds (i.e. "It will stir
    up terrorists", "It is best to leave the Saddam there at least he hates and
    suppresses Al Qaeda" etc) often denounce former examples of pragmatic
    foreign policies as bad because they have created problems for us now
    (arming Saddam, arming Islamists in Afghanistan).

    The United States has sanctions against Cuba (a communist dictatorship and
    long time enemy) and participated in UN sanctions against Saddam's Iraq.
    Occasionally it gets into tangles with other trade blocks like the
    protectionist EU, that is destroying Caribbean fruit farmers (amongst
    others) and the US is trying to help.

    I am curious about which countries you assess as having been ruined by the
    United States? The US has single handily driven the world economy to greater
    strength than ever before (that is why economists are so worried about the
    slow down in "US led growth").

    I also have to disagree with your assessment of the United States as a
    "quasi-democracy". Compared to comparatively tiny and strongly homogenous
    states like Switzerland, it appears to be wanting. But against a world
    benchmark, it is by far the most free, democratic and least corrupt of the
    super-250 million population states / political unions (Russia, India,
    Brazil, EU etc).

    Here in the UK the only thing you really cannot say is anything bad about
    minority ethnic groups or other protected minorities (e.g. gays). There are
    laws against hate speech that proscribe this. Otherwise one is pretty much
    free to say whatever one likes.

    In the USA you have even stronger protections for free speech written into
    the very constitution of the nation. The mass media may be controlled by
    business interests, but that is not the same as not having a free press. It
    is useful to ask people of the former Soviet Bloc what real censorship and
    suppression are. Or better still, ask some Miami Cubans about the paradise
    of free Cuba and its free press and free elections.

    Regards

    Limbic