RE: virus: Re: virus: Déja vu All Over Again in Haiti

From: Casey (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 07:51:13 MST

    I have to say that I don't see the connection between the US, the CIA, and Haiti's current dilemna. Haiti is an independent nation, a former French colony, and not much else. It's history is plagued by dictatorships, corruption, and the like. In the past, the US
    may have supported the Duvalier administrations. But, Aristide was elected by popular choice. And, the people of that country should decide, for themselves, whether or not they want to have Aristide in power. Aristide may have been overthrown by the rebels, but to pin blame on the US is ridiculous. It's my opinion that the US doesn't want to have to deal with a small country's social and political problems if it has any other choice. Haiti is not Iraq. Haiti is not Afghanistan. Haiti is not Burma. Haiti just doesn't have that level of importance in the eyes of the United States. What purpose would it serve to have the US 'overthrow' a country in the Caribbean? Is the US going out and attempting to forge some alliance with Haiti? I think not. Is Haiti going to be the launching pad for the democratization of all of the Caribbean and ultimately Cuba? I think not. You're playing into the hands of Aristide and his followers. You're playing into the hands of those who harbor ill will t
    owards the United States. If any other country's government were to fall to a rebelious faction would you pin the blame on the United States? I would hope not. Because, that is taking the easy route out and not examining the complexities of a country, it's people, it's geographic region, let alone it's place in the world politic.

    Regards,
    Casey

    ----
    This message was posted by Casey to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30001>