virus: antiviral advice

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 00:44:30 MST

    I currently use HouseCall to check for viruses:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

    While it's been very good, it's online and I have to initiate the scans
    (therefore their virus signature files are VERY up to date when you do
    scan).

    However, due to the current level of viral attacks coming not only from
    email, but IRC and IM clients, I'm thinking of getting some real-time,
    memory resident monitoring type antivirus software. I found a list of
    the top 8 for Windoze for 2004:

    http://antivirus.about.com/cs/beforeyoubuy/tp/aatpavwin.htm

    Anyone have any recommendation from this list?

    My two top concerns are the effectiveness and timeliness of their virus
    signature files and system resource overhead (I guess that's three
    concerns).

    Thanks in advance,
    Walter

    --