Re:virus: antiviral advice

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 08:03:26 MST

    [Walter]
    http://antivirus.about.com/cs/beforeyoubuy/tp/aatpavwin.htm

    Anyone have any recommendation from this list?

    My two top concerns are the effectiveness and timeliness of their virus signature files and system resource overhead (I guess that's three concerns).

    [rhinoceros]
    Yes, real-time virus detection is a must. I could use some suggestions myself. I mostly care for the 3rd concern (resource overhead and obtrusiveness), not whether they can detect 100,000 viruses instead of 80,000. Bonuses (doing more than virus detection) are generally a minus for me (except if they are very well-done, of course).

    It can be annoying when your antivirus program crashes (or you close it for some reason) and then your email stops working because the antivirus program had installed a proxy of its own. Obtrusiveness was the main reason I cleaned my system from anything related to Norton, although their antivirus detection was top class.

    Now I am using a free version of AVG Antivirus (version 6, updated only once a month). Combined with a little bit of common sense it is good for my needs and -- most importantly -- it stays invisible. I gave a ride to their commercial trial version 7 just in case it is my solution, but I found that they have taken steps in the wrong direction (obtrusiveness).

    I'd love to hear a good suggestion.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30073>