RE: virus: antiviral advice

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 03:46:13 MST

    Walter Watts
    Sent: 23 March 2004 09:45 AM

    My two top concerns are the effectiveness and timeliness of their virus
    signature files and system resource overhead (I guess that's three
    concerns).

    [Blunderov]You may want to take into consideration the threat of
    'spyware'. Whilst not nearly as serious as a virus, a sufficient
    accumulation of the beasties may slow your system down, not to mention
    the privacy issues. I use 'Xblock'.

    Another useful program is 'Sentinel'; it can be configured to perform a
    scan on bootup of file types capable of hosting virii, and pass any
    files which have been changed since the last bootup to the virus scanner
    for further examination. By this means you may hope to quickly limit any
    damage that a virus is able to cause if your machine does happen to
    become infected.

    Best regards