virus: vibrant eleven-dimensional “multiverse, ”

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 12:21:41 MST

    A new book recommendation. Just out.

    This guy's NO R. Stuart Hall quack. He's a physicist's physicist.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375412883/qid=1080155508/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-9094806-4543828

    Book Description
    From Brian Greene, one of the world’s leading physicists, comes a grand
    tour of the universe that makes us look at reality in a completely
    different way.

    Space and time form the very fabric of the cosmos. Yet they remain among
    the most mysterious of concepts. Is space an entity? Why does time have
    a direction? Could the universe exist without space and time? Can we
    travel to the past? Greene uses these questions to guide us toward
    modern science’s new and deeper understanding of the universe. From
    Newton’s unchanging realm in which space and time are absolute, to
    Einstein’s fluid conception of spacetime, to quantum mechanics’
    entangled arena where vastly different objects can bridge their spatial
    separation to instantaneously coordinate their behavior or even undergo
    teleportation, Greene reveals our world to be very different from what
    common experience leads us to believe. Focusing on the enigma of time,
    Greene establishes that nothing in the laws of physics insists that it
    run in any particular direction and that “time’s arrow” is a relic of
    the universe’s condition at the moment of the big bang. And in
    explaining the big bang itself, Greene shows how recent cutting-edge
    developments in superstring and M-theory may reconcile the behavior of
    everything from the smallest particle to the largest black hole. This
    startling vision culminates in a vibrant eleven-dimensional
    “multiverse,” pulsating with ever-changing textures, where space and
    time themselves may dissolve into subtler, more fundamental entities.

    Sparked by the trademark wit, humor, and brilliant use of analogy that
    have made The Elegant Universe a modern classic, Brian Greene takes us
    all, regardless of our scientific backgrounds, on an irresistible and
    revelatory journey to the new layers of reality that modern physics has
    discovered lying just beneath the surface of our everyday world.

    With 146 illustrations

    --
    Walter Watts
    Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.