RE: virus: vibrant eleven-dimensional "multiverse,"

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 03:33:18 MST

    [Blunderov] For those who, like me, find their minds glazing over at the
    prospect of any more than four dimensions, the following article from
    'Popular Mechanics' may prove helpful.
    Best Regards
    <q>
    The Universe Book of Records

    Part 4: The Limits of Size

    By Christopher Backeberg

    In Part 3 we looked at the most and least massive objects in the
    Universe. Now let's contemplate the objects or structures that occupy
    the most or least space.

    A structure is two or more bodies interacting with each other in some
    way and bound together in a cohesive manner. On the cosmic scale, the
    force of cohesion is gravity. If we think of our Solar System as a
    structure, then its components interact by orbiting the Sun and
    constantly tugging at each other gravitationally.

    Less than a century ago, the largest known structure in the Universe was
    the Milky Way. Astronomers thought the Milky Way was the Universe, with
    nothing existing outside it. Our galaxy is indeed an imposing structure,
    100 000 light years in diameter, with a population of anything up to 300
    billion stars.

    As astronomers looked deeper into space with better instruments, they
    realised that the Milky Way was but one of billions of galaxies. They
    identified much bigger structures - groups or "clusters" of galaxies.
    Our Local Cluster, which includes the Milky Way, contains some 50
    galaxies. Gigantic voids of space separate the individual galactic
    clusters.

    There are still bigger structures. Gravity appears to have arranged the
    distribution of matter throughout the Universe like a cosmic froth of
    soap bubbles. The surfaces of these interconnected bubbles are made up
    of walls and sheets of galaxies. Our awesome local cluster is merely a
    small part of a much larger supercluster.

    Astronomers have mapped the shape of the Universe in some detail out to
    distance of 400 million light-years from the Sun. Our supercluster of
    galaxies is continuous across this entire span and it may well extend
    much farther. In the observed Universe, this supercluster is by far the
    largest known structure.

    There may be objects that would dwarf any structure spanning a measly
    few hundred million light-years. Some cosmologists have speculated that
    lines of stress may have formed in the miniscule proto-Universe at the
    time of the Big Bang, 13,7 billion years ago. As the Universe expanded,
    these lines of tension, named cosmic strings, would have expanded in
    pace with it. Today, a cosmic string might span the entire Universe, or
    at least a significant part of it.

    A cosmic string would be an almost dimensionless line twisted through
    the fabric of spacetime. Inside it might be appreciable percentage of
    the total mass-energy of the Universe. Its gravitational field would be
    colossal.

    No cosmic strings have been detected in our region of space. If on did
    arrive on the scene, its gravitational impact on nearby galaxies would
    be devastating. If one passed between the Earth and the Moon, its tidal
    force would rip both worlds to molecular shreds. And it might arrive at
    nearly the speed of light, so we'd never see it coming.

    At the opposite extreme of the Universe, the smallest known structure
    the atomic nucleus, consisting of protons and neutrons. For just about
    any atom from hydrogen to uranium and beyond, the diameter of the
    nucleus is approximately a ten-million-billionth of a centimetre (10-13
    CM).

    The smallest known particle is the electron. Its diameter has not been
    measured with precision, but the current estimate is 10-16 CM - about 1
    000 times smaller than a proton or neutron.

    Particle physicists have indirect experimental evidence that the proton
    or neutron may be not just a particle, but the tiniest of all
    structures. These two particles may each be made up of three quarks. A
    quark (properly pronounced "kwark," although Americans say "cork") could
    have the same diameter as an electron.

    And there is mathematical justification - although no physical evidence
    - to suggest that there are objects much, much smaller than electrons.
    String theory and super string theory (not to be confused with the
    cosmic string hypothesis) hold that all particles of matter and force
    are no more than vibrations or harmonic resonances of infinitesimally
    small loops, or "strings", which - with a diameter of 10-33 are smaller
    than an atomic nucleus by a factor of 1 followed by 20 zeroes.

    String theory also maintains that the Universe has not just four
    dimensions of space and time, but either 10 or 11 dimensions, depending
    on which fl of string theory you prefer. If string theory should ever
    prove to be true, then you and everything around you are no more than
    harmonic frequencies of a tension in an unknowable higher dimension of
    the Universe.