virus: A fuzzy story

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 06:07:08 MST

    In a chat in #virus last night, after going through many topics such as cattle thievery, Apostle Paul and multivalued logic, the classic paradox of Epimenides the Cretan came up ("All Cretans lie" -- which eventually led to Goedel's theorem). Lucifer mentioned that fuzzy logic could resolve these paradoxes of self-referential statements by assigning a 0.5 truth value to them. For example

    "This sentence is false"

    Let's say p is the truth value of this statement by definition. Then 1-p is also the truth value of this sentence by its content. This is impossible if a truth value must be either 0 (false) or 1 (true), but if p can take any value between 0 and 1 then we have:

    p = 1 - p
    2p = 1
    p = 0.5

    Which means that the statement is half true.
    Hmm... I still don't get it completely. By reusing the content of the statement, could I prove that the truth value of "false" is 0.5?

    Oh, I think I get it now! What I just claimed is half true, isn't it? :P

    Further efforts to get a better grip on fuzzy logic (courtesy google) led me here:

    A Partly True Story
    by Ian Stewart
    http://www.tzingaro.com/artelectric/partlyTrue.html

    Allow me to introduce myself: Epimenides, professional liar. Well, that's not quite true. My name is really Herman Fenderbender, and I work for a car insurance company. But my friends at the Paradox Club call me Epimenides, and when I'm with them, I always lie.

    Last Thursday it was raining, so I got to the club a bit late. Socrates and Plato were leaning against the bar, and next to them was a chubby little fellow.

    "This is our newest member, Lukasiewicz," Plato chimed.
    Horrified to meet you," I said in disgust. My name's Zeno.

    "He means he's delighted to meet you, and his name is Epimenides," Socrates explained. "Epimenides always tells lies."

    "That's not true," I said. I opened my wallet and took out my business card. "This isn't my card," I commented and handed it over. Lukasiewicz read one side of the card: The sentence on the other side of this card is true. He turned the card over and saw: The sentence on the other side of this card is false.

    "Socrates is right, however, I always tell lies," I boasted.

    Lukasiewicz shook my hand warmly. "It's one third false that I'm pleased to meet you, and both sides of your card are half true."

    "Pardon?" I said.

    "Lukasiewicz is interested in fuzzy logic," Plato explained.

    <snip>

    The next one tells the rest about the above "Partly True Story"

    About Fuzzy Logic
    http://www.tzingaro.com/artelectric/aboutFuzzyLogic.html

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30088>