RE: virus: Why?

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 00:55:13 MDT

    Durazac15
    Sent: 13 April 2004 01:19 AM

    <snip>
    People don't learn more about quantum physics because the faculties
    necessary don't exist in the general population.
    </snip>
    <snip>
    ...the reality that the mind simply does not grasp such a conclusion -
    there is no correlation with survival needs...
    </snip>

    [Blunderov] And yet I discover, to my amazement, that all of us are
    probably using actual (!) quantum technology in our everyday lives.

    <q>
    Since 1998, almost all hard discs have used a property of quantum
    physics known as 'giant magneto-resistance'.

    Certain materials dramatically change their electrical resistance
    according to the surrounding magnetic field. It's all to do with the
    electrons' spin rather than their charge, apparently. (The 'giant'
    incidentally refers to the size of the effect, rather than the size of
    the read heads.) By placing a GMR sandwich in the middle of a circuit,
    the magnetic domains flying past on the disc underneath the read head
    can either open or shut the circuit. Because the current is external,
    GMR heads generate much stronger signals than the tiny currents that
    would be induced with a coil. This allows smaller domains packed closer
    together and the higher disc capacities.
    (PC Format, April 2004, SA Edition.)
    </q>

    Are there other real-world applications of quantum mechanics that I have
    been missing? (Up till now, I confess, I had rather thought of quantum
    mechanics as another sort of glass bead game, not unlike memetics.)
    Best Regards.