RE: virus: Why?

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 17:40:41 MDT

    At 08:55 AM 13/04/04 +0200, Blunderov wrote:

    snip

    >Are there other real-world applications of quantum mechanics that I have
    >been missing? (Up till now, I confess, I had rather thought of quantum
    >mechanics as another sort of glass bead game, not unlike memetics.)

    A few. Diodes, transistors, ICs of all kinds, LEDs, and lasers. A
    substantial percentage of the US GDP.

    Then understanding chemistry depends utterly on QM. I took college
    chemistry before QM chemistry (Pauling) hit big time. A few years ago my
    daughter took chemistry in high school. To help her I had to completely
    relearn the subject since it is now taught from a QM perspective.

    Keith Henson

    PS. Photosynthesis depends on QM electron trapping.