RE: virus: Why?

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 17:28:43 MDT

    At 11:05 PM 12/04/04 -0400, Calvin wrote:

    Erik Aronesty wrote:

    > > People don't want to learn about quantum physics because they
    > > don't see the money/reward in it. It's not that hard. Half the crap
    > > quantum physicists dream up is more like collaborative theatre
    > > than physics. Nearly any theory that fits the data and is capable
    > > of predicting possible futures has, likely, some predictive merit.
    > > The only reason "vortex theory" hasn't taken off is because it
    > > doesn't have the funding.

    >Considering my friends who've taken Quantum, who I've oftentimes seen
    >ambling about in an incoherent or half-asleep state, I have some small
    >reservations regarding the line "It's not that hard."

    About 35 years ago I took quantum mechanics from a decently rated school.

    One of the problems we had for homework was the one dimention non-infinite
    potential square well.

    That's a hard problem to integrate even *after* you recognize that the form
    of the equation that emerges from the geometry is a Bessel function.

    >While it may seem like collaborative theatre in what can be theorized, the
    >actual practice of quantum mechanics tends to heavily involve calculating
    >integrals and solving PDE's relating to wave functions.

    Yep. Worse yet non-linear partial differential equations. There is an
    amusing thing about non-linear PDEs. If you solve one, they name it after you.

    >I'll agree that people don't see money or reward in it, and that's often
    >times a very rational judgement, since in order to make worthwhile usage of
    >Quantum Mechanics, it takes a rather significant endeavor to understand the
    >important parts of the theory.

    That's true. But you have to have QM for the language and concepts before
    you can take and understand solid state physics. I think QM and solid
    state are required for electrical engineers everywhere since solid state is
    the required background to understanding silicon (semiconductor) circuits.

    Keith Henson