Re: virus: Aikido and Spirituality

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 14:51:05 MDT

    > <snip>
    > Recently, I engineered a ritual to imbue spirit into a plastic back
    > massager that me and my girlfriend use. It worked. It's now a much
    > more effective device. Too bad I can't do that with a network server...
    > </snip>
    >
    > [Blunderov]
    > I find it hard not to wonder whether the increased effectiveness does
    > not arise more from an increased familiarity with the object than
    > anything else.

    Of course it does. That's what spirituality *is*. A system of training
    technologies that enable people to become more familiar with
    each other, their environment, etc. than they would otherwise. Our
    ritual modified the way we saw the object. Mentally making it an
    object of effectiveness and significance allowed our conscious
    minds to relax under its influence... enhancing the physical effect of
    relaxation.

    If, for example, we used it to ritualistically kill people with, I imagine
    the opposite effect would occur... increasing tension under its touch....

    > I can accept that 'spirituality' encompasses those aspects of human
    > existence not governed by the rational sense (love for instance, is
    > often claimed to be a 'spiritual' state) but whether one can actually
    > imbue a concrete object with this quality...well I'm skeptical.
    >
    > But metaphor is a powerful tool. If it works for you - great!

    Metaphor and optimization are powerful tools that work for everyone.

    I recently fell prey to a memetic effect. I told a group of friends to
    meet me under a balloon with a red X on it. I bought a mylar balloon,
    painted a red X on it and stood under it.

    Half the people couldn't find me because they were looking for a red
    balloon. Of course... because people have been trained to lump "red" and
    "balloon"

    Spirituality is an ancient science, sort of "psychosociology"...

    It's also known as "memetic engineering". A subset of which is
    "motivational technology".

    You can use these techniques to create powerful personal effects within
    yourself -
    heightened ability in almost any area.

    So when someone says they are "spiritual", I take it to mean that they have
    mastered many aspects of memetic engineering within their life.

    And when someone says they can see "energy" or they have "intuition",
    I take it to mean that they can deduce the prevailing memes and subtle
    memetic transfers going on in a room full of people, or in other "complex
    environments". They allow their mind to function such that it is not
    constrained by "linear" thought (meaning the recursive consciousness that
    dominates the mind, or the ego/chaotic-attractor state of mind).

    - Erik