RE: virus: Another "Prevention Of Terrorism Act"

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 16:50:37 MDT

    rhinoceros
    Sent: 16 May 2004 11:28 PM

    I don't really know much about Indian politics. I was reading about the
    Indian elections where the Congress party won, and this comment on the
    "Prevention of Terrorism Act" (POTA) rang a bell.

    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=44&ItemID=5522rhin

    Darkness Passed...
    by Arundhati Roy
    May 14, 2004

    [Blunderov] Arundhati Roy is brilliant. I think it was she who coined the
    phrase 'Bush the Lesser'. My wife pointed out her new book to me, sadly I
    forget the title, while we were book-browsing before movies the other day.

    In it she pointed out that it is the poor of America who not only fight the
    war in Iraq but also pay for it by the loss of social services that are cut
    to finance it. A hugely disproportionate percentage of black people swell
    the ranks of the army just as they do the prisons. She says that exactly one
    (1) member of Congress has a child fighting in Iraq.

    So we know who is both paying for the war and fighting it. Who, exactly, is
    benefiting from it? Private Lynndie England?

    Best Regards