virus: Re:An Ultimatum

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 08:33:50 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    Not to be contrary Erik, but I must confess that I found this one interesting. This is a general talking about what he does best.

    North Korea is a very different kettle of fish to Iraq. They DO have nukes. They HAVE said they're up for sale. I have grave misgivings about this.

    Some say that this is all brinkmanship - that N. Korea is just jockeying for position. But it is a very dangerous game.

    [rhinoceros]
    My take on this one is that all international treaties about non-proliferation of nuclear weapons are becoming void, and that is due to very real reasons.

    When a sovereign state -- dictatorial or democratic -- sees that the United Nations and international law enforcement does not guarantee their integrity and safety from nuclear powers, it is each one on their own. The treaties have been rendered useless by unilateral actions and/or actions by leading groups forged within the UN by means of economic leverage and military threats.

    Ufortunately, the long and painful procedure of building international rules during the years of the cold war will have to start from scratch. While communication, trade, and some aspects of globalization should be opening up borders, greed and empire dreams have made them a means of pressure for taking sides with such leading groups centered around nuclear countries.

    As I said, it is each one on their own. It shouldn't come as a surprise if Iran or N.Korea see the development of nuclear weapons as the only way not to become Iraq or Serbia.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30335>