RE: virus: Chalabigate.

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 06:56:14 MDT

    Joe Dees
    Sent: 29 May 2004 01:59 PM

    As to other opinion, I have not seen it supported by polls. I tend to trust
    the horses' mouths (the Iraqis themselves), and that is who was asked by the
    BBC (and yes, they were quite surprised, and dare I say it, disappointed,
    but to their credit, they reported the poll esults anyway).

    ----
    [Blunderov] Here it is. Best Regards
    http://auto_sol.tao.ca/node/view/425
    <q>
    Poll finds most Iraqis want U.S., U.K. out soon
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    WASHINGTON - Despite concerns about their own safety, the majority of Iraqis
    say they want the U.S. and British troops now in Iraq to leave within the
    next few months, according to a countrywide poll of people in Iraq.
    "There's a sense of disillusionment," Gallup's director of international
    polling, Richard Burkholder, said today. "They had higher expectations of
    us. If we can sweep their army aside in a matter of weeks, why can't we
    stabilize their country? We're a victim of their high expectations."
    Seven in 10 said their lives or the lives of their family would be in danger
    if they were seen to be co-operating with the Coalition Provisional
    Authority currently governing Iraq. Almost two-thirds, 64 per cent, said
    actions by the coalition have turned out worse than they expected at the
    time of the invasion.
    The CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll was taken between March 22 and April 9, before
    the latest rounds of fighting between coalition forces and insurgents. A
    relatively small number of the 3,444 face-to-face interviews were conducted
    more recently.
    Almost six in 10, 57 per cent, said they would like to see coalition troops
    leave "immediately, within the next few months," while 36 per cent said they
    would like to see those troops stay longer.
    Despite the reservations, Iraqis have mixed feelings about the effects of
    the U.S. led invasion.
    - Six in 10 say ousting Saddam Hussein was worth the hardships they have
    faced since then.
    - Half said they are better off since Saddam was ousted, while 25 per cent
    said they are doing about the same.
    Burkholder said the trend in Baghdad, where Gallup polled last August and
    September, reflects a drop in attitudes about U.S. troops.
    Last August, almost six in 10 Iraqis said they had a positive view of how
    U.S. troops are behaving. Now, residents of Baghdad view U.S. soldiers
    negatively, by almost 8-1.
    Only a quarter of Iraqis said attacks on U.S. troops are completely
    unjustified. Less than a third of Iraqis said the attacks are completely or
    somewhat justified from a moral standpoint. Another one in five said those
    attacks are sometimes justified.
    Seven in 10 in the poll said they view the U.S. presence as an occupation
    and not a liberation.
    Both Sunnis and Shiites shared the generally negative views of the U.S.
    mission in Iraq and U.S. troops.
    But in the Sunni region in central Iraq, where troops have faced some of the
    strongest resistance, six in 10 said the attacks on U.S. troops can be
    justified morally.
    The poll conducted by the Pan Arab Research Center of Dubai had a margin of
    sampling error of plus or minus two percentage points.
    </q>