Re:virus: Transhuman (Body work)

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 11:25:03 MDT

    [hkhenson]
    http://www.cindyjackson.com/my_surgery.php

    [rhinoceros]
    I am a bit sceptical, and not sure at all whether I would chose the "before" or the "after" (if I had to).

    <quote>
    When Ohio native Cindy Jackson decided to transform her face, she followed what she calls 'some basic anthropological laws of human attraction.' None of this surprises researchers studying physical attraction…Perceptions of beauty are universal and automatic, they say, in direct response to specific facial characteristics.
    Lynn Smith, The Los Angeles Times
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros]
    Is it so? I have seen those facial measurements etc published all around, and I can instantly and automatically recognize Barbie and what she represents, but I doubt I would be inclined to hit on her.

    And I don't believe I am a statistical anomaly. What I think is that this "recognition of beauty" is just a cultural and intercultural conformity. After all, the magazines on the newsstands are more or less global these days.

    <quote>
    With laser-beam precision, she has repositioned tissue, cartilage and bone to transform herself into one of the most desirable women of the late 20th century.
    Corinna Honan, The Daily Telegraph
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros]
    Putting aside this small exaggeration, I think desirability has many different facets. If you walk on the streets and listen to that verbal fraction of our fellow-citizens, you will hear different kinds of compliments for different types of women, with or without "love-handles" and "saddlebags".

    I suspect that when a boy looks at a magazine cover and sees the woman of his dreams he actually sees more than "universal beauty". At the least, he sees someone who will be readily recognized as beautiful by his peers. At most, he sees glitter and a "different kind of life".

    <quote>
    Farm-girl turned cover-girl.
    Wendy Leigh, The Sunday Mirror
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros]
    A legit goal, but it shouldn't be taken as something else.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30276>