virus: Reprise: CCTV in New York

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 05:36:26 MST

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1865000/1865828.stm

On which note, I recently noticed a petition in a shop near where I live,
demanding that the local council install CCTV cameras. My prejudice has
always been that this sort of thing is very British behaviour - they see
authority as being largely ineffectual* and hence want to increase its
powers, where my prejudice has always been that Americans would be much more
likely to resent such intrusion and see it as being rather sinister. Would
list members care to comment on whether this prejudice has any substance to
it? Or are the type of people in the above report unrepresentative?

*Hence CCTV really never bothered the British - most campaigns against CCTV
have now been given up as a lost cause, due to public indifference.