virus: Shifting Ideological Sands

From: Kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 02:46:55 MDT

    I wrote in one of my earlier posts that:

    " I agree with Joe to some extent concerning his analysis of Islamic theocratic fascism, but am likely to disagree that preserving secularism and modernity figures greatly in the minds of most Western administrations), but it is surely those viewpoints that have suffered the most in the sniping, largely due to self censorship. "

    As illustration, the recent difficulties in the Anglican church (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3130107.stm) have seen many conservatives speaking of how liberalisation would diminish the respect in which the church is held in countires like Nigeria, where they are competing with Islam. It seems to me that such statements suggest a preference for the conservative social norms of Islamic societies and an acceptance of the Islamic views of Western societies as decadent. It reminds me of what many British and American figures said prior to the second world war, where defence of Hitler or Franco was often cited in terms of their role as a bulwark against fascism, but which frequently reflected their admiration for the fascist stress on public order and morals.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28992>