Re: virus: Shifting Ideological Sands

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 12:46:05 MDT

    Date sent: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 02:46:55 -0600
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Shifting Ideological Sands
    From: "Kharin" <hidden@lucifer.com>
    Send reply to: virus@lucifer.com

    > I wrote in one of my earlier posts that:
    >
    > " I agree with Joe to some extent concerning his analysis of Islamic
    > theocratic fascism, but am likely to disagree that preserving
    > secularism and modernity figures greatly in the minds of most Western
    > administrations), but it is surely those viewpoints that have suffered
    > the most in the sniping, largely due to self censorship. "
    >
    > As illustration, the recent difficulties in the Anglican church
    > (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3130107.stm) have seen many
    > conservatives speaking of how liberalisation would diminish the
    > respect in which the church is held in countires like Nigeria, where
    > they are competing with Islam. It seems to me that such statements
    > suggest a preference for the conservative social norms of Islamic
    > societies and an acceptance of the Islamic views of Western societies
    > as decadent. It reminds me of what many British and American figures
    > said prior to the second world war, where defence of Hitler or Franco
    > was often cited in terms of their role as a bulwark against fascism,
    > but which frequently reflected their admiration for the fascist stress
    > on public order and morals.

    It is also why such Christian Fundamentalist froth-at-the-mothers as
    Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blamed the victim, and endorsed the
    Fundy Muslim view that God had struck the US because if its fallen
    nature. The difference is, of course, that when their comments became
    widely known, they were widely and publicly reviled by the populace at
    large and forced to recant and apologize, something that does not
    happen with the rabid pronunciamentoes of mad mullahs.