Re: virus: Resource restrictions

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 22:29:20 MDT

    At 07:13 PM 19/10/03 -0400, you wrote:
    >Every time mankind has seen a "resource boom", due to technology, there
    >has been a power rush to control those resources. Invariably this
    >"seeking to control" creates gross inequity and violence. The oil
    >manipulations in the Middle East are a good example. Or the slaughter of
    >the native Americans.

    William Calvin might argue that boom times and bleak ones have alternated
    at least since the start of the ice ages.

    >We can create a stable hegemony on this planet that is focused on a
    >sustainable environment and human rights.

    Given what we have, namely a *lot* of humans adapted for life in tribes, do
    you have evidence to support your statement? I am not attacking it or you,
    just wondering how you support it.

    >Clean air, clean water... these resources are global and perishable.

    Even when the consequences are obvious, like they were on Easter Island, it
    looks like they kept carving statues till the food supply failed and they
    started eating each other.

    >When we begin to colonize other plantes.... sure.... all bets are off.

    The technology to do anything with the rest of the solar system is
    singularity stuff. At that point it might be easier to change people to
    live in a vacuum than it would be modify the environment.

    >But until the I believe it's possible to gain consensus for the
    >maintenance of our own.

    Not impossible I hope.

    Keith Henson