virus: terraforming mars

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 15:51:50 MST

    Did you guys see this article in Slate?

    Is Mars Ours?
    The logistics and ethics of colonizing the red planet.
    By David Grinspoon

    <snip>

    These comments were amplified by panelist Lowell Wood, an architect of
    Reagan-era "Star Wars" space-based weapons plans. Wood stated
    confidently that terraforming Mars will happen in the 21st century. "It
    is the manifest destiny of the human race!" he declared and went on to
    boast, "In this country we are the builders of new worlds. In this
    country we took a raw wilderness and turned it into the shining city on
    the hill of our world." To hell with terraforming: It seemed that we
    were discussing the Ameriforming of Mars.

    <snip>

    I'd be fascinated at any discussion...

    Michelle