Re: RE virus: More bush democracy

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 11:22:33 MST

    I always find it very amusing when people say that Switzerland and Sweden are “homogenous” and that's why real democracy works there.

    The presupposition of this argument is that people of different races should have different levels of involvement in government and representation.

    The other argument, frequently wielded, is that the US is so “big”.

    That's true, and therefore it should be held up to a *more* stringent a standard, if only to take greater care with the greater power - lest it be abused.

    The US, with its vast resources has no excuse for NOT implementing a true democracy, replete with the education and secure voting mechanism required.

    We spent billions on closed-source proprietary corporate voting systems that can and has been hacked into. It's laughable. And 5 random people off the openssl mailing list could build a more secure system in a few months with a hundredth of the resources.

    Our government is beyond “inefficient”. At this point, its failures of intelligence, security and integrity are bizarre and inexcusable.