RE: virus: Re:Jerusalem Post promotes genocide?

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 02:32:25 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
    rhinoceros
    Sent: 20 May 2004 19:50
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Re:Jerusalem Post promotes genocide?

    [rhinoceros] Erik, you are right of course, but I was talking about "a
    story", not an argument.

    I'll have to spell it out, I guess.

    (1) Jonathan replies to the UN condemnation and US reprimanding: "I am glad
    they are finishing what they started, despite the civilian losses. Otherwise
    they will simply have to do it all again. This will all be over when they
    pull out of Gaza as planned."

    (2) A similar story by swapping actors would be this: "I am glad they blew
    up those Israelis in the bus; keep up the good work and all will soon be
    over."

    [Jonathan] This is completely wrong, Rhino. Let me spell it out: I am glad
    the Israelis are finishing the job of destroying the terrorists lines of
    supply despite the fact that civilians were accidentally killed (in disputed
    circumstances) earlier in the operation. I believe the destruction of
    militants in this operation will save lives in the long run on both sides.

    If you needed *truly* reverse the actors you would have to be consistent
    with principles (unless you deliberately are inverting Israeli and
    Palestinian values?). Thus, the other sides' view, consistent with Israeli
    values, would be something like "I am glad our fighters are taking on the
    Israeli soldiers who are incurring into Gaza, even though some Israeli
    civilians were accidentally killed by a stray RPG. It will make them think
    twice about barging in here again and that will save lives on both sides."

    The only way you can arrive at your version is if you reverse not just
    roles, but fighting values (accidental killing of civilians versus
    deliberate killing of civilians) which is ironically, exactly the situation
    on the ground.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan