virus: Re:Jerusalem Post promotes genocide?

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 12:50:27 MDT

    [rhinoceros] Erik, you are right of course, but I was talking about "a story", not an argument.

    I'll have to spell it out, I guess.

    (1) Jonathan replies to the UN condemnation and US reprimanding: "I am glad they are finishing what they started, despite the civilian losses. Otherwise they will simply have to do it all again. This will all be over when they pull out of Gaza as planned."

    (2) A similar story by swapping actors would be this: "I am glad they blew up those Israelis in the bus; keep up the good work and all will soon be over."

    Both statement (2) and statement (1) are morally and technically wrong (the kin and neighbors of the dead and the thousands of homeless will want to get even -- personally).

    The difference is that nobody has ever made statement (2) while we have to deal with statements like (1). In other words, the "call for a balanced view" was actually about a balance between "killing Palestinians and razing down their homes is part of a solution" and "no, it is not".

    Do you see space for a middle way here?

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30303>